Good and Bad Luck, How to be Lucky in Life
How luck works and how you can change it for your advantage
Very few people would be willing to accept in the 21st century that believes in the existence of luck. This is usually linked to superstition, that is, to the irrational and magical, two thought-forms banished since the Enlightenment. No, our life is not moved by invisible threads.
There is another reason why luck is a taboo subject, and that is what we pretend to live in a completely meritocratic society, in which it is our actions, and not the destiny fates, that lead us to success or failure. The best they can tell us is not “how lucky you were for your promotion”, but “congratulations on your promotion, you deserve it”.
Despite this, there is more and more evidence that luck exists, only not in the reductionist terms in which we usually understand it. It is “the chain of events, considered as fortuitous or casual,” we can affirm that the problem is not found in the absence of order in the universe, but that we are not able to decipher it in anywhere.
But for scientists like Richard Wiseman, who went from being a magician to a professor of psychology at the University of Hertfordshire, luck is not, as has been claimed, an a posteriori interpretation of our actions, but a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.
luck is a product of our thoughts and our behavior. It is not something we are born with or not, but it is a quality that we can develop.
What is luck?
When we talk about luck, we refer to the existence of a series of events or situations, fortunate or unfortunate, that occur due to chance, at random or to causes that we do not know and that are beyond our control.
There are situations at the existential level, which can only be explained through luck, destiny, belief in God, karma, etc.
Situations of life or death or where the life of a person changes totally and really there is no physical, biological, psychological, etc., law that explains this situation.
For example, the case of some people who were saved from dying in the attack on the twin towers on September 11.
People who every day, at the time of the attack, were present in one of the floors where people died and that day, for some reason, they were late and did not reach it.
This type of situation can only be explained according to the religious, existential or philosophical beliefs of each person.
However, at the level of daily life, it is different.
Have you noticed that people who have good luck are positive, happy, active and confident?
And that people with bad luck are negative, depressed, constantly angry or in a bad mood and distrustful?
- Do you think it’s a chance?
- Do you think they are like this as a result of their luck?
- Do not.
It’s the other way around.
His good or bad luck is the result of his way of living.
After a lot of studies, it has been shown that the good or bad luck we live in our daily life, is the result of:
- Our attitude towards life
- Our thoughts and
- Our Behaviors
The problem is that we are generally not aware of such acts or thoughts, so we keep repeating them and continue to blame bad luck.
What is Good luck?
The elements that make up good luck are:
- Creativity, to look for new ways and invent different ways,
- Flexibility, to correct or change as many times as necessary,
- Opening, to see new possibilities and different options.
- A relaxed attitude, which allows us to perceive opportunities,
- Creativity, to create new ways and different paths, that encourage greater opportunities
hope, to trust that dreams can be achieved.
- Personal security, which allows us to continue fighting despite obstacles or errors,
let yourself be guided by intuition,
- A positive attitude, which seeks solutions, not problems.
What is Bad luck?
The problem of believing in luck is that when we do it, we put all the power and capacity for achievement outside of ourselves, putting us in a situation of impotence:
“If I do badly, it’s because I have bad luck and I cannot do anything about it.”
People who have this pessimistic and self-defeating approach, do not strive to improve and only pay attention to the negative aspects of any situation and the mistakes they make, confirming their belief in bad luck.
Bad luck is related to some habits that lead us to act in the wrong way and, therefore, to obtain negative results:
- Wait for things to happen, instead of making them happen.
- Be pessimistic
- Blame others for our mistakes.
- With this attitude: We do not learn from our mistakes, so we commit them again. We give others total control of what happens, feeling helpless, insecure and stop acting.
- Making excuses
- Instead of focusing on solutions, we waste our time looking for excuses that justify our behavior and give us “permission” to continue doing nothing about it.
- Act impulsively without analyzing the consequences.
- Be overly self-critical.
- This attitude prevents us from acting out of fear of making mistakes.
- Be very tense.
- People who get anxious or tense easily tend to be very unobservant and when they are, they only look at the aspects that can be problematic.
What can you do to be lucky?
- Learn to think positively.
- Our thoughts determine our behavior and our reality.
- If you think you’re going to go wrong, it’s going to go wrong.
- But if you are convinced that you will do well, you are taking a very important step to achieve success in what you want.
A saying of Chinese Taoism, says: “if you think you can, you’re right and if you think you can not, you’re right too”.
Actions for good luck
- Do not stay only in desire, dreams or goals.
- Although positive thinking is the first step, the action is indispensable.
- Recognize your mistakes, not to feel guilty, but to learn from them.
- We all stumble, but if we stumble on the same stone it is not bad luck, it is unconsciousness or clumsiness on our part.
Good luck is formed by effort and perseverance, remember it.
Do not leave things for tomorrow.
The opportunities can happen in front of you, but they will not be left indefinitely.
Find the opportunities and take advantage of them.
Opportunities will rarely touch our doors and stay there until we are willing to do something about it.
We need to go out and look for them and when we find them, fight for them.
If you think that in the past you had bad luck, forget about that past.
Today you are a different person, with more experience and you can develop a new attitude.
Therefore, you do not have to repeat the mistakes of the past, if you do not want to.
If you think that at this time you are unlucky, perhaps it is necessary to make important changes in your life.
Do them, but analyze the situations.
The results of good luck are not immediate, learn to be constant and have patience.
If you do not get what you want in the short term, do not give up, give yourself a logical, reasonable and adequate time for the objective in which you are working.
Learn to see the difficulties and failures as challenges that you can overcome and that will help you learn new things with which in the future you will succeed.
Are you lucky? Ask yourself:
How is my current attitude, facing problems and difficulties?
Do I dare to dream and set important goals or settle for whatever?
When I propose something, do I act with confidence or do I doubt my ability?
Do I consider myself capable of achieving my goals? What do I think about my attitude in the past
What can I learn from my mistakes or “failures” from the past?
Answer each of these questions in writing and work to develop a better attitude.